Sunday, March 24, 2013

Pudding is the bane of my existence...

Writing this post will be very hard for me. I will try my best to give you an accurate recall of the nights I attempted to make cream pies; however, I have a feeling that I have suppressed the majority of the memories deep in the cracks of my mind. Even looking at the pictures makes me want to scream in frustration. Pudding is indeed the bane of my existence.

The Banana Cream Pie Incident

It was a Saturday at Six Dinner. It was suppose to be a peaceful night....ok ok...perhaps this is all too dramatic. I saw this Banana Cream Pie recipe online and thought it sounded delectable. Banana Cream pie, peanut shortbread crust, and salty bourbon caramel drizzle. A dear friend told me about her trial and tribulations with cream pies and I heeded her advice and decided to conduct this baking adventure with my Mom who tends to be a perfectionist about everything, including puddings.

Bon Appetit wrote, "This showstopper is a worthwhile project. Set aside some time 2 days ahead to make the components, then practice saying "Aw shucks, that was nothing!" to raving guests." Unfortunately it was I who was raving and by raving I mean raging... (I do not blame Bon Appetit for this at all. I take fully responsibility.) 


Homemade peanut butter for peanut shortbread crust. It is amazing.

Looking at this picture just makes me angry. Why won't you set????
Looks perfect.....
Still looks perfect....

Delicious and Salty perfection.....


No seriously....amazing...perfection...eat your heart out...
 I unfortunately did not document my downfall, but it went something like this. Beautiful, magazine cover pie. I cut into it. Soup, not thick cream, but oozy soup. At this point I try to pick it up and throw it away, but my family stops me and insist on eating this pie (in a bowl). It tasted delicious. Everything it promised to be: sweet, crunchy crust, salty and boozy drizzle...just not that creamy, cool goodness. I was fuming...

 The Sequel

I decided to attempt a cream pie again weeks later. This time Coconut Cream Pie.  I chose this specific recipe because it was "family friendly." If kids can master this pie then surely I can too. After the last episode I didn't want to take pictures and jinx myself. This time I cooked the cream longer until it was incredibly thick....

I suppose my downfall in all puddings is the cooking part. Almost boil. Until thick. I even did the back of the spoon trick, but I either make it not thick enough or too thick. No matter the thickness it always turns out soupy. The Coconut Cream Pie looked PERFECT. Seriously, perfect this time. Not like previously cream pie.  I was ecstatic! When I cut into it...soup. I am convinced that there are pudding gremlins in my fridge that sabotage my pies just to watch me unravel in disbelief about the consistency of cream. 

I will say, that I did not care for this crust at all and if I had to do it over again, I would use a regular flaky crust. 

Looks good. Tastes good. Consistency.....bad...

I must recuperate and rethink my strategy before I attempt another cream pie.

Pudding Gremlins: 2 Me: -2 (for bad sportsmanship).

No comments:

Post a Comment